Readable Eats: Lane Stone's "Domestic Affairs" and Roasted Vegetable Pizza
Welcome back to Readable Eats, the series where we pair binge-worthy books from Cozy Cat Press with recipes inspired by our favorite authors. This week, we're cooking up roasted vegetable pizza inspired by the vegetable pizza Leigh makes in Domestic Affairs (Tiara Investigations Book 2) by Lane Stone. When not writing, Lane spends her time traveling, playing golf, and pursuing a graduate certificate in Antiquities Theft and Art Crime. You can purchase Domestic Affairs here. For the first book in the Tiara Investigations series, click here.
The recipe for the pizza, including dough and sauce, is below.
For the pizza dough:
1 packet fast-acting yeast
¾ cup warm water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1. In a large bowl, mix yeast and water together and let sit 5 minutes until bubbly.
2. Add sugar, salt, and oil to yeast and mix with fork to combine.
3. Add flour and, using your hands, mix with liquid ingredients until a soft dough forms.
4. Oil the bowl and coat the dough with the oil, then cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for one hour.
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 shallot, diced
1/3 cup tomato paste
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
pinch dried rosemary
½ teaspoon each of basil and oregano
½ can crushed tomatoes
1. In a small saucepan, heat oil on medium heat and add shallot and garlic, sautéing for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper and continue to sauté until fragrant. Then, add tomato paste and stir with shallot and garlic for 2 minutes.
2. Add spices and tomatoes, then lower heat and allow sauce to simmer 5-10 minutes, then remove from heat.
For the vegetables:
½ eggplant, cubed
½ green pepper sliced
2 tablespoons oil
½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 400F. Spread eggplant and pepper on a baking sheet, then toss with oil, salt, and pepper, and bake 30-40 minutes, or until browned.
1. Heat oven to 400F. Roll the pizza dough into a 10-inch circle on a floured baking tray or round pan. Cover with sauce, then sprinkle evenly with roasted vegetables. At this point, you can add the cheese of your choice, or abstain for a dairy-free pizza. Bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is slightly browned.